Friday, August 18, 2006

Unknown Mt.

Estes Park has always been a place where my family has taken vacations. It is a beautiful park located 30 miles north of Boulder and is bordering the east skirt of the Rocky Mountain National Park. This year my brother and I, along with his wife Carissa and my friend Zach decided to go to Estes and make some memories of our own.

We headed up to Estes Park August 5, 2006. We set up camp at Mary's Lake Campground. Mary's Lake was a nice stay with good views, but at $30 a nite, it was a little expensive. We later discovered a more primitive camp site at the base of Long's Peak which I would highly recommend for a more secluded/primitive camping site.



After setting up camp we headed out to find our first "mountain" to conquer before the nite fell. Not to far from Mary's Lake we found this no name mountain to climb. We decided to climb this mountain straight up because it's more fun that way. The last time I climbed a mountain instead of using the trail was Mt. Lilly...enough said. The rain made this "easy" climb a bit harder than expected...the following are a few of the pictures of the climb.
















Our warm up

Zach gets a stick in the butt... (not planned)

never turn back...even on wet rock

Justin and Carissa

The Crew

Typical...almost expected

We call this the technical shrubbery climb

Beautiful view from the top


3 comments:

J&CHarms said...

Is Zach wearing protection?

jason harms said...

heh.. something tells me no

Carey Helmink said...

Jason Harms you are in my prayers. I was so sad that I didn't have a chance to talk to you before you left but I saw you worshipping your heart out at the baptism service. I am so proud of you and how you are following hard after God. You will never regret it. Blessings on you! Love - Carey