Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bass MakE oVA

This bass guitar once was a blue Hamer which was my second guitar that I ever owned. After getting my Carvin I never played the Hamer. Last year I decided to take my Hamer and "monster garage" it back to life. After doing every unethical thing to a bass guitar I came out with what I think is a beauty.

First I took a power sander and took off the shiny blue along with every other blemish it may have obtained through the years. I really didn't do a good job of making sure the sanding was level so it had a lot of divots in it (but no worries.. i fixed that later). So now I had a naked bass. I wanted this bass to have a little attitude so I took a torch out. I lit the edges of it on fire and then sanded that down afterwards. So the divots... I took care of them by using a LOT of lacquer. The first coat was Thompson's Deck Water Sealant! Water proofing the bass was a must. Next I put about 7 coats of lacquer until it was smooth. Problem solved. heh.. Remember..the point of this bass was not to be a smooth looking pretty boy bass. I left the stock looking pretty rough as you can see. The pick guard was a mistake gone good. I accidentally sprayed the wrong can of paint on it and then quickly tried to wipe it off. While wiping it off I realized that it had potential so I left what I smeared. I kept doing this with a few different colors until I got what you see below. I put a few screws in the body for the straps. To finish it off I ordered some quarter pound Duncans off Ebay and put some black DR's on the baby and this is what I got! Check this bad boy.









No comments: